Shepherds Pie might be one of my new favorite dishes. I honestly never even had it until a few years ago. Since then it has become a favorite in my house! Not only is this dish ABSOLUTLY DELICIOUS, it is also Whole30 compliant. I am definitely a meat and potatoes girl and when they are combined it’s even better!! Plus, any chance I can have mashed potatoes, I do!! Another great thing about this dish … you can make it ahead of time and have it all week long. We do it a bit different as I am not a huge fan of peas! Besides Lima Beans it is the only other vegetable I just don’t like. To add a bit of flavor and to take the place of the peas I added celery. It was the perfect substitute.
How to make Shepherds Pie:
This dish does require a little prep work. Getting all your ingredients out before starting and following the order is a lot easier! Start with your carrots, as they take a while to soften. Chop them up and throw them in a skillet over med-low heat for about 20 minutes. While they are cooking, chop up your onion, potatoes, and celery and prep your spices in a small bowl so you can dump them in. Add your potatoes to a pot of water and bring them to a boil. They should take about 20 minutes to soften. Follow my Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes or perfect Whole30 mashed potatoes.
Once the carrots are tender, add your onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Next, add the celery and cook for about three minutes until the onions are translucent. Add your beef, crumble it up, and cook until no longer pink. Once done, drain the excess oil and dump it into a mixing bowl. Add your arrowroot and give it a toss, coating everything! Add minced garlic, sautéing for a minute in the pan, then add the beef broth and tomato paste. Keep stirring until the paste and broth are all mixed.
Add back in the beef/veggie mixture and give it a good stir. Turn the heat to medium till it bubbles, then reduce to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken as it simmers. Turn your oven to 350°F. Add the meat mixture to the bottom in a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. I usually strategically place a spoonful at a time, then use the back of the spoon to spread it out. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. You know it’s ready when you see the sauce bubbling up on the sides! Allow cooling for a good 10 minutes. I usually dish it out into the bowls to cool faster!
Shepherds Pie is great to make on a Sunday and use for lunch or dinner all week long!!
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Delicious, Comforting and Whole30 Compliant!
Meat and Vegetable Mixture:
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups chopped Carrots
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 1 cup chopped Celery
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoon Arrowroot
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 cups Beef Broth
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Amino
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds Organic Russet Potatoes or Jersey White Sweet Potatoes
- 5 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Cashew Milk
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Meat and Vegetables:
- Heat oil over medium-low heat and chop your carrots into small pieces.
- Add your carrots to the skillet, cooking for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop up the onion and celery, keeping them separate.
- Add all of your spices to a small bowl so you can add them when ready.
- Once the carrots are tender, add the onion, and cook for two minutes.
- Add the celery to the carrots & onion, cooking for three more minutes.
- Add your beef, crumble it up and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain your meat and vegetable mixture, add to a mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of Arrowroot.
- Over medium-low heat, add ½ tablespoon oil and the 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, cooking for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef broth and tomato base. Stir until the paste incorporates into the broth.
- Add the meat and vegetables to the broth and increase the heat to medium.
- Once it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel potatoes (unless you like the skin in your Mashed Potatoes) and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Add 5 cups of Water, 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder to Pot and bring to a low boil.
- Add your cubed potatoes and continue on a low boil for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft when you poke them.
- Drain your Potatoes and add them to a Mixing Bowl (make sure it has higher sides, and when the potatoes are in there, it is only half full.
- Add Ghee, Cashew Milk, 1/4 teaspoon of Salt, and Pepper.
- Using a hand mixer, on a low speed, mash your potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Add the meat mixture to the bottom in a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes spreading them evenly
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a good 10 minutes
Keywords: Shepherds Pie, Whole30 Shepherds Pie, Paleo Shepherds Pie, Healthy Shepherds Pie
Leave a Reply