Cajun Chicken, Sausage, and Peppers is an easy weeknight dinner! It is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy and is delicious! I love easy dishes that you can use for multiple meals. This dish is my twist on a more straightforward, quick Jambalaya recipe. The peppers help to sweeten it up, while the jalapeño and cajun seasoning give it a nice little kick! It goes great with cauliflower rice and quinoa. Both soak up the flavor of the sauce nicely!
How to make Cajun Chicken, Sausage, and Peppers:
Start with cooking your chicken or use pre-shredded/already cooked chicken. Chop up all your ingredients. You can also buy them pre-chopped if you prefer. Heat a large skillet over medium-low with oil. Add the peppers, onion, and and sauté for about 7 minutes until soft and the the onions are translucent. Chop up the sausage and shred your chicken while the pepper is cooking. Add the remaining ingredients minus chicken and sausage. Allow it to come to a simmer, stirring until the tomato paste is incorporated. Add the chicken and sausage, mixing, covering,, and allowing to simmer on low.
You can eat Cajun Chicken, Sausage, and Peppers after it simmers for 15 minutes to a half hour, or allow it to simmer for a while! Don't like a lot of spice, don't add or reduce the jalapeño or cayenne pepper in the cajun seasoning. If you like it spicy, then kick it up a notch! Oh, one last thing, you can freeze it too. I have kept it in the freezer for up to 3 months!Print
Cajun Chicken, Sausage & Peppers is the perfect weeknight dinner or a cold, snowy Sunday!
- 1 tablespoon Avocado or Olive Oil
- 1 pound Shredded Chicken
- 4 Andouille Sausage (12 ounces)
- 1 small Red Pepper
- 1 small Green Pepper
- 1 small Yellow Pepper
- 1/4 diced Jalapeno
- 1 can (8 ounces) Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning (see below)
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Amino
- 2 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning (dried)
- 2 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- Chop up all your ingredients. (or buy them pre-chopped)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low with oil.
- Add the peppers, onion, and sauté for about 7 minutes until soft and the onions are translucent.
- Chop up the sausage and shred your chicken while the pepper is cooking.
- Add the remaining ingredients minus chicken and sausage.
- Allow simmering, stirring until the tomato paste is incorporated into the broth.
- Add the chicken and sausage, mixing, covering, and allowing to simmer on low.
- Allow simmering for 20 minutes
* makes sure sausage is Whole30 if following a specific diet.
Keywords: Cajun, jambalaya, chicken, sausage, peppers, spicy, cajan, cajun sauce, cajun chicken, cajun sausage