Irish Potatoes… this dish is beyond a shadow of a doubt, hands down my favorite dish EVER. While I have a deep love of this dish, writing this post and actually publishing this recipe is difficult. I finalized this recipe over the holidays after working on it for 2 years and had taken it to my mom’s house this past Christmas Eve.
Irish Potatoes is my mom’s signature dish, filled with gluten, dairy and is absolutely delicious. She makes it for every holiday, special occasion and it is loved by everyone. Since I can’t do gluten and don’t tolerate dairy I set out to make the Gluten Free version trying to get it close to hers! I shot the pictures for this on January 1st, and had the post ready. On January 2nd my mom passed away at the age of 59 unexpectedly.
All my mom ever wanted was to be the perfect mom, and she was. She loved her children unconditionally and no matter what was always there for us. Her life was us kids and we loved her greatly. She enjoyed a middle school physical education teacher for over 20 years. Her passion was gardening, but her yard and patio was an oasis.
This photo was 1 year and 2 days prior to her passing and the best day ever. The night prior I had spent the night at her house watching hallmark movies and enjoying some wine. The next day my mom, sister niece and I spent the morning at her house getting our hair and makeup done together. I never wanted a wedding, but now I am so happy I did. My mom had the time of her life that day and I will forever have the special memories to cherish
Holidays will never be the same. My sister had already taken on the task of making her Irish Potatoes for Easter and why I have no doubt that they will be amazing, but nothing will ever compare to mom’s. We will continue to carry on her traditions and memories, but nothing will ever be the same. I hope when you make this dish you are making special memories your family will be able to cherish for years to come!!Print
Irish Potatoes, gluten free and light on dairy not on the taste!
- 1 bag of frozen potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup Sour Cream – I use Green Vally Organics Lactose Free Sour Cream
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dried Chopped Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Cream of Chicken
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock (or broth)
- 1/2 cup Nutopods (or dairy free milk, suggest cashew)
- 1/2 teaspoon Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock with 2 tablespoon Arrowroot
Start by defrosting your potatoes
Cream of Chicken:
- In a saucepan heat 1/2 cup Chicken Stock, Nutpods and seasoning over medium heat to it bubbles, reduce heat to medium low and add your slurry stirring until mixed
- Heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, turn off heat and allow to sit while you mix the remaining ingredients
- Mix Pototoes,