updated 24 May 2021
Gluten-Free Orange Chicken, this is not your typical dish but a healthier twist to one of my favorites! Nothing is better than a big bowl of it for dinner, lunch, or even a little snack. Finding a gluten-free Paleo, Whole30, or Keto recipe is challenging. Therefore, I set out to make my own, and it is AMAZING (if you ask me 😉). It even got thumbs up from someone who claims to "live for" takeout Orange Chicken. What is great about making it yourself is that you can make it to your taste.
How to make the Chicken for Orange Chicken:
First, you start with a pound of Chicken breast, placing it in a plastic back. Get a meat tenderizer and release some stress. After you remove your frustrations from the day, remove the Chicken and slice it about 1/4 inch thick lengthwise. You can cut it wider if you like thicker chunks of Chicken. Combine Arrowroot and the seasoning in a bowl. Also, heat oil in a pan over med-low heat. While the pan is heating, coat each strip in the mixture, and shake off the excess. Continue doing this until all the Chicken is covered.
If you can't fit all the Chicken in one pan, you can do a couple of batches. Don't try to crowd it in; it won't cook evenly. Place Chicken into a heated pan, ensuring it is not touching. Allow the Chicken to cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Once you complete the first batch, move the cooked pieces to a plate and start the next one; once cooked, set the Chicken aside.
How to make the sauce for Orange Chicken:
Add the ingredients for the sauce into the pan. Make sure to scrape the excess bits from the Chicken off the bottom. Bring to a light boil and reduce heat to low. When making the sauce, you can use the juice of an Orange or Orange Juice. If using Orange Juice, make sure you use a compliant juice with no added sugar. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, and add the Chicken and Orange Slice. Cover and allow to simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes. Once finished, if you choose, sprinkle sesame seeds. Serve the Orange Chicken over cauliflower rice, quinoa, brown rice, or in a bowl by itself.
Another bonus for making it on your own is you can make this dish your own. If you want a little extra orange, you can add some extra Juice. If you want more sauce, you can double the sauce recipe. If you prefer more Chicken, then add more Chicken. The possibilities are endless.
As always, ENJOY!
A healthy twist to the traditional Orange Chicken is easy for a weeknight dinner. Gluten-Free, Keto, Paleo, Whole30, and Delicious! Made with clean ingredients, including Fresh Orange Juice, Coconut Amino, Chicken Broth, Arrowroot, and Seasonings.
- One Pound Chicken Breast
- 3 tablespoons Arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Amino
- 1/2 teaspoon Parsley
- 4-5 Orange Slices
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Seed (optional)
- Heat Oil in Pan over medium-low heat
- Tenderized the Chicken
- Cut the Chicken into Quarter inch slices (or to preferred thickness)
- Mix Arrowroot, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Sea Salt, and Pepper together in a bowl
- Dredge each piece through the Arrowroot mixture, shaking off any excess
- Place covered Chicken in the pan, make sure it's not touching (you will likely need to do multiple batches)
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, set aside on a plate and add more Chicken until its all cooked
- Add Chicken Broth, Orange Juice, Coconut Amino, Boat Sauce, and Parsley to the pan bringing it to a low boil
- Reduce to low heat
- Add the Chicken back in and top with Orange Slices
- Allow Orange Chicken to cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Add Sesame Seed (if you choose)
- Serve over your choice of Cauliflower Rice/Rice/Quinoa if you choose
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 398.9 mg
- Fat: 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 31.6 g
- Cholesterol: 49.1 mg
Keywords: Orange Chicken, Paleo Orange Chicken, Gluten Free Orange Chicken, Whole30 Orange Chicken, Orange Chicken Recipe, Easy Orange Chicken